Stephen Crane’s masterpiece “The Red Badge of Courage” (published October 4, 1895) was written while Crane lodged at this house built ca. 1840 at 61 Washington Square South. It was part of what was known as “Genius Row” for all of the great writers and scholars who lived there over time, including Eugene O’Neill, John Dos Passos, and Theodore Dreiser. It was demolished in 1948 in one of the Village’s earliest and most contentious preservation battles, and replaced by NYU’s Loeb Student Center, which was in turn replaced by today’s NYU Kimmel Center.

View Full Collection
Date
1945 Mar.
Rights

Copyright restrictions may apply. Permission to publish or reproduce must be secured from the Queens Public Library.

Format
1 print : b&w ; 8x10.
Identifier
996.001.030
Citation
"Doorway of 61 Washington Square South." Village Preservation (GVSHP) Image Archive, accessed Oct 26, 2020, https://www.villagepreservation.org/ia_image/doorway-of-61-washington-square-south/.