APPROVED on 09/28/2010
Greenwich Village Historic District
aka 25-27 Charles Street
A Classical Revival style apartment building designed by George F. Pelham and built in 1903. Application is to modify signage installed without Landmarks Preservation Commission permits and to install signage and awnings.
This application is closed. Application approved September 28th, 2010.
Status as of September 28th, 2010: LATEST NEWS
At the September 28th, 2010 Landmarks Preservation Commission hearing, the Commission voted to approve the barber shop awnings and pole. They asked, however, that the applicant work with Commission staff to design less intrusive signage for the commercial space in the basement, as they felt that only one sign would be appropriate.
Status as of September 16th, 2010:
At the September 16th, 2010 Community Board 2 Landmarks and Public Aesthetics Committee hearing, the applicant presented a proposal that will be shown to the Landmarks Preservation Commission on September 28th, 2010. The application is to:
1) Legalize existing signage that would be tied to the basement entrance gate
2) Install two retractable windows awnings
3) Attach a barber shop pole to the facade next to the front doorway (the applicant states that because previous signs existed here, there are already holes in the facade, and no new holes would be created for the proposed pole)