LPC Public Meeting: 5/09/2023 – Approved
LPC Public Hearing: 3/28/2023 – No Action
LPC Public Hearing: 2/28/2023 – Laid Over
CB2 hearing: 2/9/2023 – see below to register for the Zoom meeting. To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, click HERE.
Sullivan-Thompson Historic District
Spring Street between Sullivan and Thompson Streets
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) Application description: Application is to alter the front façade, construct rear yard and rooftop additions, and excavate the cellar.
3) View the video: A curated list of LPC videos of these presentations from March 2014 onward can be found on our YouTube page. Please note that the LPC posts these videos about a week after the presentation. Videos include the applicant’s presentation, public testimony (for hearings only), and deliberation by the LPC commissioners.
4) LPC designation report: Available in PDF.
5) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like Village Preservation to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- HEARING TIMES & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT —-
1) Community Board 2 public hearing:
February 9, 2023 at 6:30 PM via Zoom
Please register using the link below:
As this information is subject to change, please visit the community board’s website for the latest available agenda. This application is scheduled to be shown publicly for the first time at CB2’s Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee public hearing. Public attendance via webinar and comments are welcome (note: this will be the first opportunity for the public to comment on this application). There is no time limit per se for testimony unless there are a number of people who are in attendance. To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, click HERE.
2) Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) virtual public hearing:
May 9, 2023 at approximately 11:30 AM via YouTube and Zoom
Registration information: https://www.nyc.gov/site/lpc/hearings/hearings.page
- For instructions on how to participate in virtual LPC public hearings and meetings, click HERE and click HERE for the video tutorial.
- The Livestream of the hearing will be on YouTube and is available HERE
- To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, send it to email@example.com by 12:00 noon on the Monday before the hearing.
On the Friday afternoon before the hearing, the LPC schedule for the hearing date with approximate hearing time will be posted on the LPC’s website. The LPC recommends that you start watching the meeting via YouTube 60 minutes prior in the event of schedule changes. Note that items can sometimes be postponed (laid over) to a future date. Public attendance and testimony are welcome. This will most likely be the last opportunity for public comment on this application. Following the hearing, the Commission will officially vote to approve or deny the application, or ask that the applicant return at a later date with revisions.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. Please note that public testimony is taken at public hearings, but not at public meetings.
5/9/2023: LPC APPROVED
3/28/2023: LPC – No action. Asked the applicant to restudy the opening on the ground floor, the height and width of the rear dormer, and overall rear yard addition.
2/9/2023 CB2 Manhattan recommends:
A. Approval of the front facade restoration above the ground floor; and
B. Denial of the design for the ground floor unless the horse walk door is retained, the central window is a historic double hung window, the entrance door has historic detailing, and the steps are in brownstone and the lower brownstone detailing extends to grade; all of which would together recreate the original design; and
C. Approval of the demolition of the non-historic rear wall, the extensions, and excavation of the cellar and a portion of the garden, provided that care is taken to do no harm to the building or adjacent properties; and
D. Denial of the rear windows and recommends that in their place, the basement and parlor floors have a less industrial appearance and that the upper floors and the dormer have windows with a clear historical reference.
Please note: All LPC public hearings and public meetings are held at the Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th floor north, public hearing room (unless otherwise noted).
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.