APPROVED with modifications 05/08/2020
CB2 hearing: 09/12/2019
LPC hearing: 09/24/2019 – laid over
LPC hearing: 10/08/2019
LPC meeting: 03/17/2020 – canceled
LPC meeting: 05/08/2020
Greenwich Village Historic District
At the southwest corner of West 10th Street
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the CB2 agenda: Application is to restore the facade and install a rooftop addition, demolish an adjacent one-story building, and construct a new building.
3) View CB2 Resolution: Available in PDF.
4) View the video: A curated list of LPC videos of these presentations from March 2014 onward can be found on our YouTube page. To view the video from 10/08/2019, click HERE and for the video from 05/08/2020, click HERE. Please note that the LPC posts these videos about a week after the presentation. Videos include the applicant’s presentation, public testimony (for hearings only), and deliberation by the LPC commissioners.
5) LPC designation report: Read this property’s architectural/historical description.
6) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like GVSHP to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. Please note that public testimony is taken at public hearings, but not at public meetings.
Please note: All LPC public hearings and public meetings are held at the Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th floor north, public hearing room (unless otherwise noted).
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.
05/05/2020: At today’s public meeting, the Commission approved this application unanimously with the following modifications: the applicant work with staff to re-study the materiality of the penthouse above the historic building and to re-study the height of the brick fin wall at the western end of the new building. All of the Commissioners approved the demolition of the existing one-story extension at the rear of No. 21 fronting West 10th Street. Commissioners Goldblum, Holford-Smith, Jefferson, Lufty, and Devonshire had issue with the height of the western brick fin wall. Commissioners Goldblum, Chapin, Holford-Smith, Gustafsson, Lufty, and Devonshire had issue with the materiality of the penthouse atop No. 21. Commissioner Shamir-Baron raised issue with the projecting bay of the new building but said she could approve the application and Commissioner Chen said that he thought the new building was still too tall but could accept it.
10/08/2019: At today’s LPC public hearing, the Commission took no action on this application and the applicant was asked to make revisions and present at a future public meeting. With the exception of Michael Devonshire, all the Commissioners supported the demolition of the one-story rear extension. All of them objected to the materiality of the new addition and felt that it impeded the new building from being contextual both in relation to 21 Greenwich Avenue and to the surrounding buildings. Some of the Commissioners felt that the new structure needed to be reduced by a floor and two felt that the penthouse on 21 Greenwich Avenue needed to be less visible.