APPROVED on 10/12/2010
Greenwich Village Historic District
Between Washington & Greenwich Streets
A Greek Revival style rowhouse designed by Peter Van Antwerp and built in 1846-1847. Application is to rebuild the rear wall and a rear extension and excavate rear yard.
This application is closed. Application approved October 12th, 2010.
Status as of October 12th, 2010: LATEST NEWS
At the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s public meeting on October 12th, 2010, the applicant presented evidence that while the rear structure is indeed an original 19th century tea room, it is too deteriorated to restore. The Commission approved its demolition and the applicant’s original proposal for a replacement.
Status as of October 8th, 2010:
A revised version of the proposal is scheduled to be shown to the Landmarks Preservation Commission at a public meeting on October 12th, 2010.
Status as of September 21st, 2010:
At the September 21st Landmarks Preservation Commission public hearing, the Commission refrained from voting on this application. They questioned whether or not the existing rear addition is an original 1840s tea room and whether or not it should be demolished. The applicant is to research this with the Commission’s staff, and return for a public meeting at a later date TBD.
Status as of September 13th, 2010:
At the September 13th, 2010 Community Board 2 Landmarks and Public Aesthetics Committee hearing, the applicant presented a proposal that will be shown to the Landmarks Preservation Commission on September 21st, 2010. The application is to:
1) Demolish the existing rear addition and construct a new rear wall of glass and mahogany (the rear facade will be retained only the top floor)
2) Excavate the rear yard down 36‚Ä≥-40‚Ä≥
3) Construct stone and wood walls along the edges of the property line