CB2 hearing: 10/14/2021
LPC hearing: 11/16/2021
LPC hearing: 12/7/2021
Greenwich Village Historic District
Charles Street between West 4th Street and 7th Avenue South
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the CB2 agenda: Application is to construct a 3-story addition to rear of the house, a penthouse addition and new mechanical equipment on roof, new windows on all facades, refurbishment of areaway and sidewalk, and excavation below cellar and rear yard.
3) View the video: A curated list of LPC videos of these presentations from March 2014 onward can be found on our YouTube page. Please note that the LPC posts these videos about a week after the presentation. Videos include the applicant’s presentation, public testimony (for hearings only), and deliberation by the LPC commissioners.
4) LPC designation report: Available in PDF; page 266.
5) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like Village Preservation to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- HEARING TIMES & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT —-
1) Community Board 2 public hearing:
October 14, 2021 at 5:30pm via Zoom
Please register using the link below: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_0LuIdbQ7RJGZNwgpIErjEg
As this information is subject to change, please visit the community board’s website for the latest available agenda. This application is scheduled to be shown publicly for the first time at CB2’s Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee public hearing. Public attendance via webinar and comments are welcome (note: this will be the first opportunity for the public to comment on this application). There is no time limit per se for testimony unless there are a number of people who are in attendance. To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, click HERE.
2) Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) virtual public hearing:
December 7, 2021 at 9:30am via Zoom and YouTube
Registration information to come:
- For instructions on how to participate in virtual LPC public hearings and meetings, click HERE and click HERE for the video tutorial.
- Sign up to speak HERE
- The Livestream of the hearing will be on YouTube and is available HERE
- Join the meeting on Zoom to testify when the item is announced HERE. (There is a three-minute time limit for testimony).
- To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 noon on the Monday before the hearing.
On the Friday afternoon before the hearing, the LPC schedule for the hearing date with approximate hearing time will be posted on the LPC’s website. The LPC recommends that you start watching the meeting via YouTube 60 minutes prior in the event of schedule changes. Note that items can sometimes be postponed (laid over) to a future date. Public attendance and testimony are welcome. This will most likely be the last opportunity for public comment on this application. Following the hearing, the Commission will officially vote to approve or deny the application, or ask that the applicant return at a later date with revisions.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. Please note that public testimony is taken at public hearings, but not at public meetings.
Please note: All LPC public hearings and public meetings are held at the Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th floor north, public hearing room (unless otherwise noted).
10/14/2021 CB2 Manhattan recommends:
A. Approval of the entrance provided that the detailing is of careful historic design and fabricated; and
B. That the penthouse be reduced in size and/or moved toward the rear of the building to reduce visibility; and
C. Denial of the chimneys’ design and that they be replaced with a more traditional design and be positioned in the historic parallel to the property line and flat against the sides of the building as close to the rear of the building as possible; and
D. Approval of the rear basement windows and the parlor floor windows provided that the parlor floor configuration makes some reference to the three punched windows which they replace; and
E. Approval of the excavation provided that all care is taken with the design and construction to ensure that the integrity of the building and neighboring buildings is not compromised that all methods and monitoring necessary to ensure this protection are carried out.
12/7/2021 LPC Public Hearing Decision:
Unanimously approved with recommendation that visibility of chimneys be reduced and materiality of penthouse along with rear parapet be reconsidered for historic appropriateness.
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.