APPROVED on 05/11/2010
Greenwich Village Historic District
A public park built in 1826 with subsequent alterations. Application is to construct a new building and install signage.
This application is closed. Application approved on May 11th, 2010.
Status as of May 11th, 2010: LATEST UPDATE
This application returned to the Commission for a public meeting on May 11th, 2010, at which time the Commissioners voted to approve the application in its original state as presented on April 20th, 2010.
Status as of April 20th, 2010:
A public hearing on this application took place at the Landmarks Preservation Commission on April 20th, 2010. On that day, the NYC Dept of Parks & Recreation presented their plan to demolish the existing three maintenance & comfort station structures in the park and to replace them with a single building that would house public restrooms as well as offices for Parks Dept maintenance operations. Only the cellar of the existing comfort station would remain, and would be used as the cellar for the new building. According to the Parks Dept, was being proposed in an effort to minimize excavation in the park, which is known to contain significant archeological resources.
The new building would be constructed of granite, steel & glass with a wooden trellis overhang. There would be greenery and solar panels on the roof.
At the hearing, the Commissioners all indicated that they liked the plan. However, since there was no quorum, they were unable to take an official vote to approve it.