These photos were taken by Nat Kaufman between 1950 and 1956. Nat bought most of his photography equipment and supplies at Coloute’s camera store on Christopher Street between Bleeker and 7th Avenue South, which was located there for several decades beginning in the 1940s. Nat served in WWII with Joe Butler of the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown, Ohio. Joe would regularly visit Greenwich Village for the Whitney Museum (then located on 8th Street), and the Village Art Show. Nat had a great interest in photographing the Village Art Show, which he did with his Rolex double lens two and a quarter square, blowing his prints up on an Omega enlarger. Nat’s son Jonathan, who donated these images to Village Preservation in 1998, was born on Sheridan Square in 1956, went to P.S. 41, and lived at 165 Christopher Street.
Copyright restrictions may apply. Permission to publish or reproduce must be secured from the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.
- Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation