Susan De Vries — Federal Rowhouses in Lower Manhattan
Historian, researcher, and photographer Susan De Vries has been active in the preservation field for over two decades. She has previously served as director of the Dyckman Farmhouse Museum and held roles at the National Trust for Historic Preservation. She is currently the photo and research director at Brownstoner, writing about and photographing historic Brooklyn architecture. Early in her career, from 1994 to 1996, she worked for Village Preservation (then known as the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation) as a research associate intern before becoming a staff member and working for the organization until 1999. Among the many projects she undertook were invaluable photo surveys of early 19th century architecture in Lower Manhattan, which helped form the basis for later landmarking campaigns by the organization and lead to protections for scores of historic buildings. Susan is a frequent lecturer and consultant on history, research, and historic preservation issues.
In 1995, the Landmarks Preservation Commission asked the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation to do a photographic survey of Federal-era (ca. 1790-1835) buildings in Lower Manhattan based on a list they provided. As an intern at GVSHP, Susan undertook that survey. After 1995, she continued to work on photographing and researching the buildings as part of her thesis work, and expanded the project beyond the original list. These photos are from that project.
Copyright restrictions may apply. Permission to publish or reproduce must be secured from Village Preservation.