APPROVED on 05/06/2014
CB2 hearing: 01/13/2014
LPC hearing: 02/04/2014
LPC meeting I: 03/11/2014
LPC meeting II: 05/06/2014
Greenwich Village Historic District
Corner of Barrow and Greenwich Streets
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the LPC agenda: A vacant lot within the church complex consisting of a Federal style church attributed to Clement Clark Moore and built c. 1821-22, rowhouses built in 1825-26 and a school building designed by Thomas M. Bell and built c. 1950. Application is to construct a new building. Zoned R-6
**Village Preservation note: This application is being presented along with the application for 657 Greenwich Street (St. Luke’s School).
- Original design presented at LPC public hearing and community board
- Photomontages of proposed tower (by the independent Environmental Simulation Center)
3) LPC Designation Report: Read this property’s architectural/historical description (noted as a vacant lot above the entry for St. Luke’s School).
4) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like Village Preservation to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. Please note that public testimony is taken at public hearings, but not at public meetings.
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.
- 5/6/14: Modified application approved at today’s LPC meeting, and is now closed. The applicant lowered the building’s height from 153’ to 121’ by removing the slender brick tower at the top. Bronze and glass elements will be used in the upper portion, and the top-most floor will have a penthouse with a terrace and a glass rail at the roof. The brick base will now be clad in Flemish bond brick (stretcher bond had previously been proposed), and a tripartite arrangement (base, middle, top) has been incorporated into the base’s design. The commissioners felt that the lowered building height was appropriate to the site and historic district, and that it related better to the church complex as a whole.
- 5/2/14: Application scheduled for 5/6 LPC public meeting at 10:00 AM. No testimony is taken, but the public is welcome to attend.
- 3/11/14: At today’s public meeting, the applicant responded to public testimony from the 2/4 public hearing and the commissioners provided their feedback. The LPC took no action on this application today and requested that further revisions be made (to be presented at a future public meeting, date and time TBD). The commissioners asked that the height of the tower be lowered. They felt the design was overly complex with too many materials and setbacks, which overshadowed the church and the rest of the St. Luke’s block. They felt that the Archive Building, which sits outside the Greenwich Village Historic District, should not be used as a scale reference.
- 3/7/14: Application scheduled for a 3/11 LPC public meeting at the Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th floor north public hearing room. It will be presented at approx. 10:35am. Arrive about 30 minutes prior to get through security and to account for any scheduling changes. Public testimony is not taken, but the public is welcome to attend and listen to the commissioners discuss the application presented at the 2/4 public hearing.
- 2/5/14: This application was heard at yesterday’s LPC public hearing, but due to time constraints, the commissioners did not provide comment. Instead they will do so at a future public meeting, date TBD. Please sign up for e-notifications from Village Preservation if you wish to know when this meeting will be scheduled. The public cannot testify at that time, but you are welcome to attend.
- 1/15/14: LPC hearing for 2/4/14 has been confirmed on the LPC website.
- 1/14/14: At last night’s CB2 Landmarks Committee meeting, the applicant said this proposal will be presented on Tuesday, February 4th (time TBD) at the LPC. We will confirm this when the LPC agenda is released later this week.
- 1/7/14: Application scheduled to be presented to CB2 on 1/13. LPC hearing likely to be held in early February, but we will update as soon as we know more.
- 12/9/13: We have received written confirmation that the applicant will not be presenting this application at the 12/9 community board meeting. It is likely postponed until early January, but will update here when we know more (we will also email those who signed up for email notifications for this application).
- 12/5/13: We have received verbal confirmation from the applicant that this application will not be presented at next Monday’s 12/9 Community Board 2 Landmarks Committee meeting. However, since the CB2 calendar still lists this application on the 12/9 agenda, we have included it here just in case. It seems likely that it will not be presented, but you can either attend Monday’s meeting or call the community board for more information. We have also received written word from the LPC that the LPC hearing has been postponed until late January/early February.