APPROVED on 05/10/2011
Greenwich Village Historic District
Corner of Fifth Avenue
A Gothic Revival style church complex, comprised of the church, designed by Joseph G. Wells, and built in 1844-46; the Gothic Revival style chapel, designed by McKim, Mead and White, and built in 1893-94; and the Prairie School style church house, designed by Edgar Tafel, and built in 1958-60. Application is to construct additions on the ground floor and roof of the church house, and alter an existing ramp and a path in the garden between the church and church house.
Status as of May 10th, 2011: LATEST NEWS
The applicant presented the revised proposal to the Landmarks Preservation Commission at their public meeting on May 10th. The revised application no longer proposed to enclose the arcade. Rather, the applicant proposed to created a small glass vestibule outside of the lobby that would begin behind the piers at the front entrance (thus eliminating visibility from the street). The originally-proposed sliding gate was made a swinging gate, and the canopy was eliminated entirely from the proposal.
Though the Commissioners felt they did not see enough renderings of the proposed vestibule and gate, they approved the application with modifications. They asked that applicant work with Commission staff to incorporate the cresting detail that appears on the historic gates into the new gate.
Status as of May 9th, 2011:
The applicant will present the revised proposal to the Landmarks Preservation Commission at their public meeting on May 10th.
Status as of April 12th, 2011:
At the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s public hearing on April 12th, the Commission reviewed the proposal. They thought that because the open colonnade is an important feature of Prairie School style architecture, if it is to be enclosed then the glass should be further set back. The Commission also thought that the proposed canopy was unnecessary. They took no formal action, but rather asked the applicant to make revisions to the application and to return at a later date TBD.
Status as of April 8th, 2011:
The public hearing at the Landmarks Preservation Commission has been rescheduled for Tuesday, April 12th.
Status as of April 5th, 2011:
The public hearing at the Landmarks Preservation Commission, originally scheduled for on April 5th, has been postponed to a later date TBD.
Status as of March 28th, 2011:
At the March 28th public hearing of the Community Board 2 Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee, the applicant presented the proposal that will be heard at the Landmarks Preservation Commission on April 5th.
The proposed designs may be viewed here.
Status as of March 18th, 2011:
This application is scheduled to be shown publicly for the first time at the Community Board 2 Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee public hearing at on Monday, March 28, 2011, at 6:30 pm at the Church of Our Lady of Pompeii, 25 Carmine St., in Father Demo Hall (as these details are subject to change, please visit the Community Board’s calendar for the most up-to-date information). Public attendance and testimony are welcome.