APPLICATION APPROVED with modifications
Greenwich Village Historic District Extension
Between Washington and Greenwich Streets
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the LPC agenda: A vernacular style stable and dwelling designed by Henry Andersen, and built in 1897. Application is to alter at the ground floor and construct a rooftop and a rear yard addition. Zoned C6-1.
(GVSHP note: this application appears to have been withdrawn and the applicant has decided to amend Certificate of Appropriateness 13-9073 to alter the ground floor and construct a rooftop addition.)
2) LPC Designation Report: An architectural and historical description of the building is available in the designation report.
3) Photos of the application: Available in PDF.
4) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like Village Preservation to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- HEARING TIMES & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT —-
1) Community Board 2 public hearing:
Monday, October 1, 2012 at 6:30pm
194 Mercer Street, Room 203
As this information is subject to change, please visit the community board’s website for the latest available agenda. This application is scheduled to be shown publicly for the first time at CB2‚Ä≤s Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee public hearing. Public attendance and comments are welcome (note: this will be the first opportunity for the public to comment on this application).
2) Landmarks Preservation Commission public hearing:
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 at time TBD
The Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th Floor North, public hearing room
On the Friday afternoon before the hearing, please check the LPC public calendar on the right-hand side of their website for the approximate hearing time (we recommend that you arrive 30 minutes prior). Note that items can sometimes be postponed (laid over) to a future date. At this hearing, the Commission will officially vote to approve or deny the application, or ask that the applicant return at a later date with revisions. Public attendance and testimony are welcome (note: this will most likely be the last opportunity for public comment on this application).
3) Email Community Board 2 or the Landmarks Preservation Commission
If you cannot attend the public hearings but would still like to comment, please click here to contact the Community Board or the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Be sure to send them your comments before the hearing dates indicated above.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. You can read more about public meetings on our blog, Off the Grid.
STAY UPDATED! To be updated on the status of this application as soon as we find out more, please click here for our e-alerts.
- 3/12/13: Application approved with modifications at today’s LPC public meeting, and is now closed. (Note: this application was to amend Certificate of Appropriateness 13-9073; see Application Information above for more). They asked that the applicant work with LPC staff to reduce the visibility of the bulkhead and to set back the railing so that it is aligned with the bulkhead. Note: the applicant also moved the ground floor entry to the easternmost side of the building rather than the westernmost bay, as previously proposed.
- 3/8/13: Scheduled for a public meeting on 3/12.
- 11/21/12: LPC did not vote on this application at their 11/20 hearing. They felt that the rooftop addition was too visible from the street and detracted from the neighboring 1834 Federal row house, an individual landmark since 1966. They also felt the cornice should be made of metal rather than fiberglass. They asked the applicant to work with staff to make revisions and present these to them at a future date, TBD.
- 11/9/12: LPC hearing rescheduled for 11/20/12.
- 10/25/12: LPC hearing rescheduled for 11/13/12.
- 10/9/12: At this morning’s LPC hearing we discovered that this application has been laid over. Future date TBD.