CB2 revisions hearing: 9/20/2021 at 6:30 PM – Virtual
LPC hearing: 07/20/2021 at 1:15 PM- In-Person
CB2 hearing: 06/14/2021 at 6:30 PM- Virtual
Greenwich Village Historic District
Between West 10th Street and Christopher Street
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the CB2 agenda: Application is to demolish existing 1-story commercial building and construct new 5-story mixed-use building, with cellar and attic.
3) View the video: A curated list of LPC videos of these presentations from March 2014 onward can be found on our YouTube page. Please note that the LPC posts these videos about a week after the presentation. Videos include the applicant’s presentation, public testimony (for hearings only), and deliberation by the LPC commissioners.
4) LPC designation report: Available in PDF.
5) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like Village Preservation to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- HEARING TIMES & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT —-
1) Community Board 2 public hearing:
Monday, June 14, 2021 at 6:30 PM
2) Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) public hearing:
July 20th, 2021 at 1:15 PM
3) Community Board 2 public hearing:
September 20, 2021 at 6:30pm via Zoom
Please register at the following link: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_0LuIdbQ7RJGZNwgpIErjEg
As this information is subject to change, please visit the community board’s website for the latest available agenda. This application is scheduled to be shown publicly for the first time at CB2’s Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee public hearing. Public attendance via webinar and comments are welcome (note: this will be the first opportunity for the public to comment on this application). There is no time limit per se for testimony unless there are a number of people who are in attendance. To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, click HERE.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. Please note that public testimony is taken at public hearings, but not at public meetings.
Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) public hearing overview, July 20th, 2021 at 1:15 PM – No Vote
- Commissioners did not disapprove of the demolition of the existing one-story building or the proposed building’s massing and height but were skeptical of the windows and thinking behind that design choice.
- Commissioners were concerned about the thin brick veneer as it is unknown how that material will age in comparison with actual brick of the neighboring buildings.
- The Commission suggested better use of storefront and storefront windows.
- Commissioners warned that the building was trying so hard to blend with the other buildings in the Village that it could end up sticking out more like a bad replica. They encouraged the applicant to reimagine the design in a more contemporary manner that creatively interacts with the surrounding historic buildings.
- No vote was taken. The Commission recommended that the applicant make significant changes to the design before the project is presented at the September CB2 meeting.
Starting July 20, 2021 LPC Public hearings will be held at The Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th Floor North, public hearing room.
Read about the commission’s Covid-19 protocols here.
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.