The current structure resulted from the combining of two pre-law tenements at 91 and 89 Third Avenue with a new building at 87 Third Avenue in 1902. These tenements were originally owned by A.C. Gale & Company, and by 1902 were owned by the trustees of the Hamilton Fish Estate. The newly conjoined three buildings were designed in the English neo-Classical style by Myron E. Evans of Ballantyne & Evans Architects. Trow’s Directory Printing and Book Binding Company, which was responsible for printing and binding the New York City Directories, was located in this building and the one located to its east.

For more information on the history of these and other buildings South of Union Square, click here.

See all Architecture of South of Union Square photos here.

Photos by Dylan Chandler
Detail of 87-91 Third Avenue