This four-story building was designed in 1870 as a school for St. Ann’s Church by the well-known architect Napoleon LeBrun, who later became the official architect of the New York City Fire Department. It housed what was once the city’s leading civil service school.

For more information on the history of these and other buildings South of Union Square, click here.

See all Architecture of South of Union Square photos here.

Photo by Dylan Chandler