This three-story Beaux Arts building was designed in 1903 by architects Jardine, Kent & Jardine as an auction mart for horses and then automobiles. The part of the building facing East 12th Street dates to 1890. Nos. 126-128 East 13th Street housed a vocational school for women during World War II and was the studio of noted artist Frank Stella for over a quarter century. It was saved from planned demolition by Village Preservation after a six-year campaign to secure landmark designation for the building.

For more information on the history of these and other buildings South of Union Square, click here.

See all Architecture of South of Union Square photos here.

Photo by Dylan Chandler