Happy 50th Anniversary, St. Mark’s Historic District! Panel, Poetry, Celebration
On January 14th, 1969, the St. Mark’s Historic District was designated, marking the area that was owned by Petrus Stuyvesant, who laid out Stuyvesant Street in the 1650s, along with St. Mark’s Church. Celebrate the district – which includes Stuyvesant, East 11th and East 10th Streets – for it has long been a seat of cultural, architectural, religious, and artistic significance. Our birthday party will gather residents and neighbors to learn about the district’s history and how it’s thrived since designation.
We will be joined by:
* Andrew Berman, Executive Director of Village Preservation
* Stephen Facey, Trustee of the Landmark Fund & Chair of the NPC Advisory Committee
* The Rev. Anne Sawyer, Rector, St. Mark’s Church
* Marilyn Appleberg, longtime East Village resident and the founder and president of the 10th and Stuyvesant Streets Block Association
* Elinor Nauen, Poet and Poetry Project Board Member
With a reception to follow provided by Veselka.
Co-sponsored by Saint Mark’s Church-in-the-Bowery, the Historic District’s Council, the Neighborhood Preservation Center, 10th & Stuyvesant Streets Block Association, the Poetry Project, and Veselka
- Wednesday, January 16, 2019
- 6:30 pm
St. Mark’s Church-in-the-Bowery, 131 East 10th St