PARTIALLY APPROVED 10/20/2009
NoHo Historic District
Between Broadway & Mercer Street
A Georgian Revival style store building designed by W. Wheeler Smith and built in 1899-1901. Application is to legalize the installation of storefront infill, awnings, signage, light fixtures, and flagpoles without Landmarks Preservation Commission permits.
This application is closed. On October 20, 2009, one component of the application was approved, while all others were denied.
A public hearing on this application was held at the Landmarks Preservation Commission on October 20th, 2009. One component of the application was approved, while all others were denied.
The applicant, who was the owner of the restaurant Leela Lounge, was looking to legalize three inherited violations (in other words, they had occurred prior to his purchase of the property):
- the storefront configuration
- 3 flags and flagpoles
- neon sign
The applicant was also looking to legalize two violations he performed himself:
- a menu box, which is drilled into a pilaster
- lantern-style light fixtures
At the public hearing on October 20, 2009, the Commission approved the legalization of the storefront configuration, but denied the legalization of the four other components of this application.