APPROVED on 09/07/2010
Greenwich Village Historic District
Southwest corner of Washington Place
A building originally built in 1827 and altered in the early 20th century. Application is to install new storefront infill and signage.
This application is closed. Application approved September 7th, 2010.
Status as of September 7th, 2010: LATEST NEWS
At the September 7th public meeting, the applicant returned to the Landmarks Preservation Commission with a revised proposal. The applicant proposed exposing the historic corner column and changing the color of the storefront from dark brown to light beige (see photos below). The Commission approved this revised proposal on the condition that the signage band on the Washington Place facade be shorted.
Status as of August 10th, 2010:
At the August 10th public hearing, the Landmarks Preservation Commission reviewed the proposal. While the Commissioners thought the French doors were appropriate, they thought they should be constructed of wood instead of aluminum. They also asked the applicant to perform probes to see if a historic corner column exists. They asked the applicant to revise the proposal and return for a public meeting at a later date TBD.
Status as of August 2nd, 2010:
At the August 2nd Community Board 2 Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee meeting, the applicant presented a proposal that will be shown to the Landmarks Preservation Commission on August 10th, 2010. The proposal is to replace the existing wooden storefront with a dark brown aluminum storefront. The new storefront would have French doors and wooden signage (painted wooden lettering affixed to a painted wooden signboard). A light fixture would be installed under a new retractable awning. The applicant is also proposing to re-open two doorways on the Washington Place facade that existed historically but have since been closed-off.
***Note: The existing storefront was constructed in 1997.