CB2 hearing: 8/17/2023 – see below to register for the meeting. To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, click HERE.
LPC hearing: 9/12/2023 – No Action
Greenwich Village Historic District Extension II
Downing Street between Varick and Bedford Streets
—- APPLICATION INFORMATION —-
1) From the LPC agenda: Application is to construct a rooftop addition, replace ground floor infill, replace windows, and alter the rear façade.
2) View the application: Available here.
3) View the video: A curated list of LPC videos of these presentations from March 2014 onward can be found on our YouTube page. Please note that the LPC posts these videos about a week after the presentation. Videos include the applicant’s presentation, public testimony (for hearings only), and deliberation by the LPC commissioners.
4) LPC designation report: Available in PDF.
5) Receive updates by email: Please click here if you would like Village Preservation to email you when there are updates to the status of this application.
—- HEARING TIMES & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT —-
1) Community Board 2 public hearing:
August 17, 2023, at 6:30pm via Zoom or in-person
Please register using this link.
As this information is subject to change, please visit the community board’s website for the latest available agenda. This application is scheduled to be shown publicly for the first time at CB2’s Landmarks & Public Aesthetics Committee public hearing. Public attendance via webinar and comments are welcome (note: this will be the first opportunity for the public to comment on this application). There is no time limit per se for testimony unless there are a number of people who are in attendance. To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, click HERE.
2) Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) virtual public hearing:
September 12, 2023 via YouTube and Zoom
Registration information: https://www.nyc.gov/site/lpc/hearings/hearings.page
- For instructions on how to participate in virtual LPC public hearings and meetings, click HERE and click HERE for the video tutorial.
- Sign up to speak HERE
- The Livestream of the hearing will be on YouTube and is available HERE
- Join the meeting on Zoom to testify when the item is announced HERE. (There is a three-minute time limit for testimony).
- To submit written testimony of any length in advance of the hearing, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 noon on the Monday before the hearing.
On the Friday afternoon before the hearing, the LPC schedule for the hearing date with approximate hearing time will be posted on the LPC’s website. The LPC recommends that you start watching the meeting via YouTube 60 minutes prior in the event of schedule changes. Note that items can sometimes be postponed (laid over) to a future date. Public attendance and testimony are welcome. This will most likely be the last opportunity for public comment on this application. Following the hearing, the Commission will officially vote to approve or deny the application, or ask that the applicant return at a later date with revisions.
—- STATUS OF THIS APPLICATION —-
This section provides updates if there are changes to the hearing dates listed above, which includes instances when an application has been laid over (aka postponed). If applicable, LPC public meeting dates for this application will also be tracked here. Please note that public testimony is taken at public hearings, but not at public meetings.
On 8/17/23 CB2 Manhattan resolution recommends:
A. Approval of the garage door and the entrance doors together with their lighting; and
B. Absolute denial of the rooftop addition as of a design that does great harm to the historic district and is unacceptably visible by the standard of “minimal visibility” for rooftop additions that has guided the Commission with respect to the district.
C. That if the applicant wishes to have consideration of an addition that it be of a design that is in harmony with the building and the district and is greatly reduced in size and visibility in order that it is in tune with the district and that the applicant be instructed by the Commission to return to CB2 for a public hearing on the revised proposal.
On 9/12/23 the LPC recommends:
No Action on the application. Most Commissioners requested that the applicants work to reduce the size of the rooftop addition. The Commissioners also found the proposed changes to the front façade acceptable, although the materials on the doors could be changed to better mesh with the historic fabric of the neighborhood.
Please note: All LPC public hearings and public meetings are held at the Municipal Building, 1 Centre Street, 9th floor north, public hearing room (unless otherwise noted).
STAY UPDATED! Click here for our e-alerts to be updated on this application as soon as we find out more.