APPROVED on 05/11/2010

Greenwich Village Historic District

Northwest corner of Charles Street

An apartment building designed by Samuel Roth and built in 1951-1953. Application is to construct rooftop and rear yard additions.

This application is closed. Application approved on May 11th, 2010.

Status as of May 11th, 2010: LATEST UPDATE
On May 11th, the applicant returned to the Commission with a revised design, which proposed a rooftop addition that would be smaller than what was originally proposed on February 2nd. The Commission approved this revised application.

The approved proposal may be viewed here and here.

Status as of February 2nd, 2010:
A public hearing on this application was held at the Landmarks Preservation Commission on February 2nd, 2010.

At the time, the building contained a small fifth floor of painted white brick that the applicant proposed to extend. The proposed extension would be clad in white stucco and would be visible from several angles on the street.

The Commission unanimously agreed that the applicant would need to provide far more information in order for them to accurately judge the proposal.  They also thought the rooftop addition was far too visible and poorly designed. The applicant was asked to return to the Commission with a revised design at a later date TBD.

1969 Designation Report, published by the Landmarks Preservation Commission when they designated the Greenwich Village Historic District