APPROVED on 04/06/2010

Greenwich Village Historic District

Between Bedford & Bleecker Streets

A house built in 1827. Application is to reconstruct the building and to raise the height of the front façade and roof.

This application is closed. Application approved on April 6, 2010.

Status as of April 6th, 2010: LATEST NEWS
A public hearing on this application was held at the Landmarks Preservation Commission on Tuesday, April 6th. The application was approved at this hearing.

This building sits behind No. 56 Barrow Street, and is only very partially visible from Barrow Street. Access to the building is through a courtyard, which is accessible through an alleyway between No. 52 Bedford & No. 56 Barrow.

As it has recently been discovered that the foundation is unstable, the applicant is proposing to reconstruct the building from the ground up. The applicant intends to re-use the existing brick, if at all possible. Click HERE to see the application.

The new proposed building is to be an exact replica of the existing building, with the following exceptions:

1) The roof would be raised 2′ 4′

2) The fire escape would be removed

3) The new brick would NOT be painted white, as existed prior to demolition

4) The new windows would be double-hung and 2-over-2, as opposed to 1-over-1, as existed prior to demolition

5) A metal railing would be installed on top

6) A new stairwell bulkhead would be installed on top

1969 Designation Report, published by the Landmarks Preservation Commission when they designated the Greenwich Village Historic District.