APPROVED on 06/01/2010
Gansevoort Market Historic District
Corner of 12th Street
Two Greek Revival style rowhouses built in 1849. Application is to legalize and enlarge a fire escape.
This application is closed. Application approved June 1st, 2010.
Status as of June 1st, 2010: LATEST NEWS
At the public hearing on June 1st, the Commission agreed to approve the application as long as the removal of the front fire escape would not result in damage to any historic fabric (please see photos under the May 25th, 2010 status).
Status as of May 25th, 2010:
A new application has been filed to locate the proposed fire escape at the back of the building (as opposed to the front, as was originally proposed in the application that was withdrawn on May 4th, 2010). This would involve joining it with the fire escape that already exists at the rear of 5 Ninth Avenue, and enlarging some of the existing masonry openings on the rear on 7 Ninth Avenue to make room for doors. The existing front fire escape at 7 Ninth Avenue would be removed. This application will be heard at the Landmarks Preservation Commission on June 1st, 2010.
Status as of May 4th, 2010:
A public hearing on this application was originally scheduled to take place at the Landmarks Preservation Commission on May 4th, 2010, but was withdrawn at the last minute. The proposal was to extend the existing front fire escape to the top floor windows.