These structures are the oldest extant structures south of Union Square, constructed as houses when the area was first being developed, between 1835 and 1839. The two at the northern end of the block once housed piano factories in the 19th century, when this area was a center of piano manufacture. The large glass building to the right replaced New York’s last surviving nickelodeon house, and exemplifies the type of development encroaching upon the area.

For more information on the history of these and other buildings South of Union Square, click here.

See all Architecture of South of Union Square photos here.

Photo by Dylan Chandler