26 West 10th Street is part of a row of ten Anglo Italianate row houses at #20-38 West 10th Street built in 1856 and attributed to architect James Renwick, Jr. This “terrace” of brownstone houses was built by James F.D. Lanier and his father-in-law James Winslow. It is believed to be one of only two surviving rows of houses by the celebrated 19th century architect (who also designed St. Patrick’s Cathedral and Grace Church) in all of New York City.

These pictures show the interior of No. 26 and were taken c. 1900 and procured by the residents at the time, the Moir family. Note the high ceilings, ornamental plaster work, original fireplace mantels and over mantel mirrors.

Click here to read more about Renwick Row.

View Full Collection
Date
Ca. 1900
Rights

Copyright restrictions may apply. Permission to publish or reproduce must be secured from Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation

Citation
"Renwick Row, 26 West 10th Street, Image #6" Village Preservation (GVSHP) Image Archive, accessed Oct 23, 2020, https://www.villagepreservation.org/ia_image/renwick-row-26-west-10th-street-image-6/.