Wedding party, with pastor Antonio Demo, before Our Lady of Pompei’s sanctuary
Our Lady of Pompei moved into its present church October 7, 1928. At that time the present altar had not been installed. The image behind the wedding party, of the Madonna and Child handing rosaries to Saints Dominic and Catherine of Sienna, is the image of Mary as Our Lady of the Rosary. It is a copy of the original at the shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary in Pompei, Italy. It arrived about 1896, a gift of Annie Leary, an Irish-American heiress who was a benefactor to many charities in the Archdiocese of New York. Soon after it arrived, the pastor of the time, Father Francesco Zaboglio, sought and received from Bartolomeo Longo, the founder of the shrine in Italy, permission to call Pompei a shrine church, too. A large marble altar was installed in the early 1930s, and the painting cut in the upper corners to fit into it. After the Second Vatican Council, Pompei installed its present altar, which stands before this historic one. For more information about Father Antonio Demo, visit http://gvshp.org/blog/2012/03/09/whats-in-a-name-father-demo-square/View Full Collection
© Center for Migration Studies of New York
- "Wedding party, with pastor Antonio Demo, before Our Lady of Pompei’s sanctuary" Village Preservation (GVSHP) Image Archive, accessed Oct 22, 2020, https://www.villagepreservation.org/ia_image/wedding-party-with-pastor-antonio-demo-before-our-lady-of-pompeis-sanctuary/.